Trip Report: From Amsterdam to Doha in Business Class - Qatar Airways 777-300ER

Qatar Airways 777-300ER

At the beginning of 2017 Qatar Airways launched a promo called "Qatar Travel Festival" that had some extremely low fares. 
I was able to purchase a flight on Business Class from Amsterdam to Tokyo (Haneda) and back.

I'm going to start this series of trip reports with the flight from Amsterdam to Doha.

At the airport
On the 10th of June, after arriving at Schiphol from Madrid in the morning, I went planespotting until approximately 6 PM, when I headed to the terminal to return the rental car and check in. 

In my experience, when flying with Qatar Airways check-in is fast, and this time it was even smoother as business class passengers have their own queue. The same cannot be said for Schiphol's security controls... 
I didn't have a lot of time to spare, but I decided to pay a quick visit to the Aspire Lounge, where you are given complimentary access with a Qatar Airways business ticket.
I was somewhat dissapointed by the lounge, as it lacked some elements that other airports lounges have, such as food (the only thing available was some cup noodles). Showers are available, but you have to pay to use them.


On the upside you have good views of the apron

After this I headed downstairs to gate F09, where I had to wait as the flight was delayed.
When it was time, boarding was done through a jet bridge.


A7-BAW, the aircraft that would take me to Doha


The flight
Seatmap of Qatar Airways's 777-300ER

Upon entering the aircraft I was greeted by the flight attendants and directed to my seat, 2K. Having a window seat is always a bonus, at least for me.
A pillow, blanket and pyjamas were waiting for me at the seat. I was also given a Bric's amenity kit which had Castello Monte Vibiano items.

Business class seats on the 777-300


Complimentary pyjamas 

I was pleasantly surprised with the seats as they were very spacious.

In between the two seats you can find a sliding tray, which when pulled closer to you reveals a space where you can store a water bottle. A little further back you can find a moveable light.

While boarding was being completed I fiddled a bit with the seat controls, which allow you to move every part of the seat independently, and use a massage function. All business class seats can be converted into flat beds, and I must add that they're quite confortable.

The IFE screen is considerably bigger than the ones on economy seats, and the system itself worked well and had a wide mix of movies, music and games. The remote control is a bit outdated compared to the one on Qatar's own 787 and A350, but it's still usable.
Personally I was too tired to even bother watching something, so I just left it on the map page.


Safety instructions. They were first displayed in English and then in Arab.

Another couple of minutes passed and then we were cleared to push back and taxi. It then took us about 10 minutes to get from the gate to the runway and lift off.

Food and drinks

I would've loved to include some photos of the actual food here, but I was way too tired to remember to take the pictures so I just ate and went straight to sleep. I did take a photo of the food menu though.


The menu

Example of how meals are served (from the return flight)

Cabin crew came and set a tablecloth and then all utensils with care, a nice touch for sure.
Three meals were served, but I slept through two of them.


Final thoughts

Even though we had a delay that had me running through the Doha terminal to avoid losing my connecting flight, the service onboard was good and the flight itself was confortable, which kind of made up for the delay.

I'd definitely fly with Qatar Airways's on business again, specially now that they've introduced a new business product.


All photos by José I. Soria/An Aviation World.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TFDi Design 717 for FSX/P3D - Review

Razbam M-2000C for DCS World - Review

Aviodev C-101 for DCS World - Review